This is one of my favorite recipes that my grandmother passed down to me. When I would visit her, she would always have a large jar of this on the kitchen counter among other treats. As a kid I would just eat it plain but now I enjoy it with tea or coffee. This is a great recipe to make in advance for entertaining (it can last up to 30 days).
*If this recipe looks familiar to you, I first published it in 2008 on the old blog.
3 Cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 Cups sugar
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Cup butter
3 Teaspoons anise seed
1 Teaspoon lemon extract
1 Teaspoon vanilla
1 Teaspoon almond extract
1 Cup almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 325
2. Mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Cream butter and sugar. Add beaten eggs. Add extracts and almonds. Add the dry ingredients and mix.
4. Shape into two oblong loaves about an 1/2 in thick and place on two parchment lined baking sheets.
5. Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes.
6. Let cool for an hour.
7. With a serrated knife, cut the loaves into diagonal slices about 1/2 inch wide.
8. Place slices back in the oven on their sides for 25 minutes. Bake at 325. Let cool.
*Biscotti can last up to 30 days in an airtight container.