I can’t remember the last time I posted a washi tape craft on Zakka Life. I do know It’s long overdue. So today I’m sharing how to make washi tape pencil toppers. These toppers easily slide on and off pencils. They’re also easy to make.
Wide straws – I use bubble tea straws that you can get at the Asian market. You can also look for smoothie straws. Unfortunately those pretty paper straws do not work for this project. They’re too skinny and will not fit over the pencil which is important.
Washi tape – any color or print
1. With scissors, cut your straw into 2in pieces.
2. Place a small piece of washi tape on top of the straw.
3. Cut the edges of the tape and stop at the straw. Refer to dotted lines in fig. 3.
4. Fold all pieces of tape down on the sides of the straw.
5. Wrap a piece of tape around the top of the straw to cover up the tape from step 4.
6. Continue to wrap pieces of tape around the straw until it covers the whole thing. You can stick with the same color or change the colors/prints as you go.
7. Wrap a 5in piece of washi tape around the top of the straw. The tape should extend out and come together (sticky sides together) to make the flag.
8. Trim the flag by cutting out a “V” shape on the side of it.
To personalize the pencil toppers, write a name or initials on the flag.