I finally finished the pom pom rug for my daughter’s room! I can’t tell you how good it feels to have this rug finished. And through the process, I learned a few things about these rugs. For starters, there’s a reason they’re usually small in scale. The pom poms take a long time to make and it takes up a lot of yarn. So if you want to make one, keep this in mind. Pom pom rugs are not a cheaper alternative to regular rugs unless you have a very large stash of yarn you want to get rid of. And with that said, on to the tutorial.
I’ve seen a few tutorials that suggest using a non-slip rug mat as your base. I don’t recommend this because they are made out of flimsy rubber and rip easy. If you’re going to go through the trouble of making a pom pom rug, I recommend Latch Rug Canvas. I purchased this one on Amazon. You can probably find it at fabric and craft stores as well.
Pom pom maker
Yarn – wool is always best but very expensive. I made mine with a soft acrylic
Latch Rug Canvas
1.Make the desired amount of pom poms for your rug. Leave about a 6in tail to attach the pom poms later.
I made my pom poms in two colors and two sizes to achieve a variety of texture. I also made my pom poms full by trimming them down. For a more shaggy look, trim your pom poms less.
* I was able to get about 10 full pom poms (2 inches in diameter) from a 5oz ball of yarn
2. Thread the tails of you pom poms trough two different squares on your latch rug canvas. Tie a knot on the back side of the canvas. I made a triple knot for good measure. Continue to do this until all your pom poms are attached to the canvas.
This is what the back looks like. I trimmed the tails to one inch after I made the knots.
3. To finish the back of the rug, cut the canvas into sections. Refer to the black dotted lines in the top figure.
4. Fold the sections over and tape down with masking tape. Make sure the canvas is not showing in the front of your rug.
* Alternative to steps 3 & 4 – You could just cut away the excess canvas.
This pom pom rug measures 32in x 23in and took about 150 pom poms to make.
*I recommend making some extra pom poms to have on hand in the event that a pom pom comes apart.